Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Google Toolbar Spell Checker

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-15 : 13:38:06
I reckon this is my end, but I can't figure what, so asking in case something has changed in the App recently.

Because I can't spell I use Google Toolbar's Spell Checker to fix the spelling (if not the grammar!!) of my posts.

But its stopped working.

I'm using the Quick Reply for my posts.

If I leave the reply empty an press the Check Spelling button I get a little popup that the form fields are empty. Fair enough.

If I put a word or two in that is spelled correctly I get a little popup saying "No spelling errors found". Also fine, and normal behaviour.

If I then introduce a spelling mistake by adding an X to the end of a word I get no message from Google Spellcheck, and nothing else appears to happen.

I made an html page with just a <textarea> on it and it behaves correctly - misspelling words underline and I can click to get a choice of corrections. I've tried a few other sites too.

So it seems limited to SQL Team.

Goggle Toolbar Spellchecked has NEVER worked with my own application, and I'm pretty sure that is because we have a "Hook" on all the formfields to post-process them (and a keystroke-hook too I think).

So maybe something like that has been added recently?

I can't imagine Graz is fiddling with Snitz stuff, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I've reinstalled Google Toolbar, and rebooted ...

I didn't get the "No spelling errors found" popup on this one, so there must be errors, but I can't see them - sorry

Kristen

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-15 : 18:30:50
doesn't your bot know how to spell?

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-15 : 19:29:14
Over the weekend I changed how the site search worked. That involved adding some JavaScript from Google into every page. I use FireFox which has a spell checker built in.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-15 : 22:43:08
"doesn't your bot know how to spell?"

'Fraid not mate, the Bot is dyslexic (why's that word so hard to spell?)

I'm amused that Googles SiteSearch JS might mean break Google's SpellCheck JS.

Or is that BS?

I'll give FireFox a whirl. Have only ever had it on the QA machine for cross browser testing ... "old habits" and that ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-15 : 23:12:49
OK, IE has been retired for SQL Team ... and other spell-sensitive web sites!

I will report any incompatibility problems between Bot and Firefox

("Firefox" - "Add to dictionary" ... You'd think they would put "Firefox" in the default dictionary they ship, eh?)
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-18 : 10:34:32
I've been driving FireFox hard for a few days.

Much to like, some to hate, that's probably power for the course. The spell check is not on a par with Google Toolbar, which is surprising for something built in ... and the distance from RightClick to the correction word is going to give me RSI before the weekend!!

But the developer tools that I have turned up are truly awesome. Trouble is we deliberately built all our back-office stuff IE only (no need to be multi-platform when we could stipulate the browser) and I now have a mountain of Poo to fix before that lot works with FireFox.

I'm sure you seasoned FFox'ers have this covered, but

Web Developer toolbar
Firebug

are amazing. Can't believe I have managed without them for so long ...

So public executions will speed up now as the productivity requirements have been quin-quadrupled for the Dev'ers

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-18 : 11:25:19
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of both of those tools. Many of the problems with SQLTeam HTML were found and fixed with those two tools. The only reason the the site search is now the little text box on the upper right is that the web developer tool bar helped me track down the formatting issues.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -