Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Auto Scroll Feature Request

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-20 : 03:00:38
I know Snitz is a PITA to Mod. But I don't know how hard, or easy even!, each thing might be, so just thought I'd raise it.

I, like most of you I expect, work my way down "Active Topics" looking for boldface items where I have contributed before; links that are coloured "visited" and where I possibly have an interest, although no contribution yet, and other, unread, thread links.

It would be nice if the system could scroll the thread for me.

Active Topics known the "start" date/time for the current list. It knows the time of the posts in the thread I am navigating to. It has an anchor on every post, so that the URL could be ?TOPIC_ID=12345#67890

An alternative would be to scroll to my latest contribution to the thread. I generally scroll down to the bottom, then up to find my last post, and then read from there. Of course if I stopped contributing to the thread a while back that doesn't help much! but for a thread with > 4 or 5 posts it enabled me to read onwards from my last contribution.

Kristen

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-20 : 08:07:25
Sounds like a useful feature.

Trying to up your post rate by not wasting time scrolling ?

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-20 : 10:03:58
Yes, ... Graz: I forgot to mention that this feature should only be available for ME ME ME ME ME!
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-20 : 10:34:02
Have you looked at clicking on the right arrow in the active topics list? It's in the last post column.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-20 : 10:58:24
but come on graz.. that's just too simple and requires absolutly no snitz chages.
don't be a bore

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-21 : 06:55:34
"Have you looked at clicking on the right arrow in the active topics list? It's in the last post column."

Never even knew it was there ... glad I asked, thanks.

Bloody users, eh?

Although not quite solving the problem I posed ...

Bloody developers, eh?

Perhaps I could write a screen-scraping reader "skin" ...

Bloody Hackers, eh?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-21 : 09:40:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

"
Although not quite solving the problem I posed ...
Kristen

I was kind of hoping you wouldn't notice that part. :) I certainly should have known better. Is this good enough or should I add this to a proposed feature list I keep? I have no idea when or even if I would get a chance to work on it.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-21 : 10:41:49
Kristen you mean you are asking for this http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60467 ?

quote:
I generally scroll down to the bottom, then up to find my last post, and then read from there

I thought you wanted a short cut that brings you to your last post in a thread. Maybe a green arrow to do this ?

KH

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-21 : 13:46:11
"I was kind of hoping you wouldn't notice that part. "

hehehe ... let me try it for a bit.

In practice I find that I am often the only respondent in a thread - I resume that is because other see a thread being handled and take another for themselves. I do that - ignoring threads that have already been answered - except when I have time to kill Ha!Ha! so on those threads I expect it will work well.

I'll report back Boss!

"I thought you wanted a short cut that brings you to your last post in a thread."

Actually what I want is to go to the most recent Post/Anchor after the start-date of the Active list.

Which is a cheap-and=cheerful way to get an approximation of skipping anything I have read (actual logic is anything I am likely to have read) on previous visits to the thread.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-29 : 08:48:26
" Have you looked at clicking on the right arrow in the active topics list? It's in the last post column."

I've been trying this and it works quite well, on the whole.

Some observations:

The "last-post right-arrow icon" is a long way from the Subject. So its quite hard to match the "last-post icon" with the subject - particularly if the window is fairly wide.

In practice I seem to need to use both the Subject link and the Last-post-link.

If I use the last-post-icon on an as-yet-unread post:

If there are no replies, yet, in the thread it links to TOPIC_ID=12345.
However, if there are replies it links to TOPIC_ID=12345#45678

The subject links to TOPIC_ID=12345, in both instances, of course. So in the second example the Subject does not colour-code to show that it has been visited.

Its actually quite nice to link to the bottom of a thread I have not read. Its probably a fully-worked example by Peso and I can ignore even reading the question or its the OP saying "Thanks" [PigsFlyingICON!], or it may be the OP saying "I got error XXX" in which case I can try to help.

For topics that I have participated in I think it works really well. Again, I may see the OP saying "Thanks" or "Error", or other folk contributing, and either way its a short upwards scroll to my previous post in that thread - this becomes even more useful in long threads.

Having a duplicate of the last-post-icon in front of the Subject (on the Active Topics page) would make a big difference to me.

Dunno what anyone else thinks?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-29 : 09:29:06
i want a green arrow

KH

Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-29 : 09:48:52
i want it in yellow!

Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-29 : 09:50:42
polling time

KH

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-29 : 09:55:54
Anything will do me ... and a Blue arrow icon already exists ...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -