Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Analysis Services (2000)
 Migrating SSAS 2000

Author  Topic 

John LaSpada
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-06 : 09:47:40
I have just been asked to migrate an analysis services 2000 server and its components. The instance contains 3 cubes with a number of dimensions and virtual cubes. I have been told that the server will be backed up to tape and the restored on another server with the same name, only difference between the 2 will be a new domain name. My thinking is that I will need to install SSAS at the destination server and then restore the cubes and refresh the data within the cubes.
Now for my questions:
Can anyone who has done/heard of this shed some light on the pitfalls of migrating this way?
Is there a better, cleaner way of migrating?
Thanks,
john

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-06 : 23:02:34
Then you may need reset user permissions.
Go to Top of Page

John LaSpada
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-07 : 11:04:02
rmiao,
How do I do that if you don't mind me asking? I currently know that cube roles are all Active Directory groups. Can this be accomplished after the cubes have been restored? Or does this need to be done at another time.

Thanks,
John
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-07 : 22:57:53
Will be fine if domains are trusted, otherwise need grant permission to users in new domain.
Go to Top of Page

John LaSpada
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-21 : 08:18:06
rmiao,
Unfortunately the domains are not trusted in my scenario. Would a piece of DSO/DMO be the trick to handle a find and replace on the existing domain name for the new domain name?
John
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-21 : 17:04:58
Don't know how to do that, easy in ssms though.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -